Why Everyone Should See The Revenant (even though it's not for everyone)

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

I saw The Revenant the day it came out. I was waiting for this movie for a while due to the promising trailer and anticipation from others, and I was so excited to see another Leonardo Di Caprio film. I also could not wait to watch another film directed by Alejandro Innaritu. After seeing his creative work in Birdman, I craved his sense of style - original, transcendent, and artistic.


The Revenant certainly did not disappoint. Leonardo di Caprio delivered a haunting performance. He played it with the kind of passion that is unforgettable. He is unrelenting, and it was easy for me to personally empathize with the character, completely forgetting that this was the same actor who starred in many other familiar movies. He was just different here! He truly captured the anguish, sorrow, despair, and many other emotions stirred in this film.


Of course, Innaritu delivered as well. I believe that there hasn't been a film that has offered a more visceral experience than this. He truly made the world immersive, and he made it as realistic and believable as possible. I'd like to mention that when filming this, he only used natural light and they only shot during certain times of the day, aiming to capture the raw essence of the environment. That to me is dedication.

Innaritu (left)
I also have to mention the cinematographer, Emmanuel Lubezki, as his shots, to put it simply, were magnificent and unforgettable! Both Innaritu and Lubezki showed the harshness of their unforgiving location and they showcased its undeniable beauty. They both truly partnered into creating a one-of-a-kind piece of art.

As for recommending this movie, I do think this movie is not for everyone. In fact, certain moviegoers would think of The Revenant as an absolutely boring and slow film. Some would say the story is mediocre. While I personally don't see it that way, I do see it from their perspective. Now the reason why I still think everyone should see the movie whether or not one might like it is simply because it is different. It does not dumb itself down, it is serious, it is aggressive. It is slower paced than most movies nowadays, which is something not everyone's used to. It took its time telling its story and it developed the suspense, thrilling the audience with its slow peak to an epic conclusion. As for the story, it may seem like a mediocre story but the film showed how magnificent Hugh Glass's story is. Learning more about him is great enough, but seeing it told in a visual way like this gives it a bit more of a relatable feel.

All in all, I believe The Revenant demands to be seen and it deserves to be seen by everyone, whether  or not you might like it. You could very well hate it, but you might also appreciate it for what it is and for what its goal is - to give the viewers the ability to have a visceral cinematic experience. Any movie that is as ambitious and creative as this is a winner in my book. 

7 comments:

  1. I need to see this. It sounds like a film that would be perfect for my Intro to Film course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oohh great film-studies related movie, I think.

      Delete
  2. I haven't yet seen this film, but I have heard only good things about it. I am glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if there is a correlation between people who appreciate (or prefer) slower, more artistic movies and those who like the same things in their reading. I usually find that I like a mix, both in my books and my movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm interesting perspective, Lindsey. I think in many ways they are related!

      Delete
  4. Can't wait (but admit that I am scared to watch this because so many odd people I know love/hate/indifferent this film.)

    ReplyDelete